Monday, April 16, 2007

Miscellaneous Adventures

Unfortunately our internet connection at the Intermarche, which has thus far been our most reliable source, suddenly stopped working last week for whatever reason and has just now finally come back on. Regardless, we spent our time with John's mom in Montpellier, eating at some fabulous restaurants with all kinds of interesting French dishes. You know that you're in France when your idea of "eating light" after three days of rich food becomes something like a steak slathered in goat cheese. Janet arrived this weekend as well, and we spent some time exploring Provence (pictures coming soon).

We also had dinner with Jean-Jacque and Josienne at a very very very nice restaurant, where I had one of my top 5 best meals. I don't know what it is about the french, but they sure can make just about anything taste pretty good, even pigs' feet which was my first course. I've also had the pleasure of eating kangaroo, which was fun for the sheer novelty alone, although it didn't really have much taste which I guess means it tasted kind of like chicken.

I've finally gotten to the point in French where I no longer dread speaking to French people, which I used to avoid at times. That might be thanks to my new teacher, who I think must miss the days when she could strike students with a yardstick (or meter stick over here I suppose) when we give the wrong answer. Given the added pressure to say things correctly lest I incur her wrath, I've become much more conscientious when speaking. But it's mostly just nice to finally be able to understand people when they talk to me (especially Jean Jacque, who, it turns out, did not kill two Algerians but was the intended victim--whew!)

Everything has been going pretty well lately, the guy from whom we buy our crepes every day knows us pretty well by now and doesn't need to ask us which kind of crepe we want anymore. We've also gotten accustomed to eating one baguette per day, so we feel more and more assimilated to life in Montpellier. I'm definitely getting excited for Paris, but I get a little sad when I realize that we're only going to be living here for another two weeks. I know I could easily spend several years here, six months is just not enough time!

Anyway we have much more to say after not posting for a week or so, but for now I have to go write a report for class tomorrow. John, as usual, has no homework (I don't know how he always manages to get into classes which don't give homework).

No comments: